The ODECU has evaluated the nutritional quality of the sausages and has detected species of meat not indicated on the label


In Chile, according to data published by the National Association of Industrialists of Cecinas, ANIC, the annual production of sausages in 2021 exceeded 96 million kilos, including Viennese and fatty sausages. Along with this, in 2018, an article stated that the per capita consumption of Viennese in Chile is 16 kilos, or 16 packs of 20 units per person.

Given this high consumption by Chileans, which demonstrates that sausages represent an important product in the daily diet, the Organization of Consumers and Users, ODECU, decided to carry out a study evaluating the nutritional quality of sausages available in the national market . , and in turn verify compliance with current legislation in Chile.

The ODECU tested a total of 11 samples, where the degree of compliance with the mandatory labeling requirements was evaluated, nutritional analysis to compare the labeled values ​​with those obtained from proximal analysis, microbiological analysis according to the criteria established in the Sanitary Food Regulation for cooked dried meat and a comparison of compliance with the purchase price. Furthermore, a genetic analysis was carried out to identify the type of meat species used in the preparation of the sausages through DNA. It is the first time in Chile that a consumer organization has carried out this type of analysis.

From the results obtained, the ODECU cites that as key a single sample respects all the aspects evaluatedwhile the remaining 10 samples present one or more non-conformities with respect to the mandatory requirements to be reported on the label.

In this regard, the president of ODECU, Stefan Larenas Riobó, explains that “an innovation in this study was the application of genetic analysis that identifies DNA through the PCR technique, which allowed the identification of meat species contained in the samples, obtaining as a result that only 45% (5 samples) comply with the labeling on its ingredients list The remaining 6 samples, equal to 55%, show one or more non-conformities in their composition and/or labeling The deficiencies detected correspond to: content of an ingredient that is not labelled; labeling of an ingredient which they do not contain and/or failure to label one’s own ingredients in descending order in proportion”.

Genetic analysis

Through genetic analysis, several violations of the regulations due to the composition of the products have been detected.

In detail, according to DNA analysis, Traditional PF sausages, although labeled as made with chicken and pork meat, made 36% turkey meat, which is not labeled. Meanwhile, the Montina Tradicional brand, which claims to be made with chicken and pork, has been found to be pork-free and contains 15 percent turkey meat, which is also unlabelled.

Another case is the Lider Sureña sausage, which claims to be made with chicken and pork, but found 5% undeclared beef on the label. Irregularities have also been found in the Receta del Abuelo brand, Sausage Sureña, which although it claims to be made primarily of beef and later pork, DNA analysis has shown to be 85% pork, 11% beef and 4% turkey, the latter undeclared. Finally, Grandpa’s Recipe Premium Sausages, which claim to be made primarily from pork, and later beef, turned out to be 86 percent pork, 12 percent unclaimed turkey, and just 2 percent beef. beef.

In other findings, the Receta del Abuelo brand, in its Southern Sausage version, does not comply with the amount of total fat labeled (it claims that it has 15.9 g/100 g and 27 g/100 g has been found). Meanwhile, for the amount of sodium, 6 brands do not meet the labeling: PF Traditional Sausage, La Preferida – Southern Sausage, Líder – Southern Sausage, Grandfather’s Recipe – Southern Sausage, PF – Southern Sausage and Grandfather’s Recipe – Premium Sausage, all registering a higher amount of sodium.

As for proteins, despite including them in their production and respecting the labeling, the ODECU states that sausages cannot be considered a good source of protein, given their high amount of fat, compared to proteins for example of the egg.

Finally, the president of ODECU, Stefan Larenas Riobó, says that it is extremely important to invite consumers to know the type of food they consume, the nutritional quality they contain and the impact it causes on people’s health, ” The execution of this study is a contribution of information to the consumer and an invitation to create awareness of what is being consumed, and that, if you choose this type of product, you can do so informed”.

El Mostrador Odecu Sausage Study Report on Scribd

El Mostrador ODECU Sausages Summary Study on Scribd

Follow us on

The Google News office



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *