Waiting in Argentina for the possible conviction of Cristina Fernández de Kirchner


Argentina lives hours of waiting before the release, this Tuesday, of the sentence in the trial against the country’s vice president, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, and 12 other defendants for alleged corruption in her two terms as president (2007-2015).

The last words of one of the defendants, Juan Carlos Villafañe, are scheduled for Tuesday at 9:30 (12:30 GMT), after which the Federal Oral Court 2 will be able to issue its verdict, which is expected in the afternoon in Argentina. .

This process, known as “Causa Vialidad”, which began in 2019 and was suspended for six months due to the COVID-19 pandemic, has maintained the mixed mode since August 2020, when it resumed.

For this reason, the vice president will listen online to the verdict of the case that judges the alleged irregularities in the concession of 51 public works to the entrepreneur Lázaro Báez’s companies during the governments of Néstor Kirchner (2003-2007) -died in 2010 – and Cristina Fernández (2007- 2015) in the southern province of Santa Cruz, the political cradle of Kirchnerism.

Fernández de Kirchner is accused of having committed the crimes of illicit association and fraudulent administration of public funds, for which, on August 22, the Public Prosecutor’s Office requested a sentence of 12 years’ imprisonment and disqualification from holding public office for life.

The prosecutors in the case have also requested prison for the rest of the defendants, while the defense are asking for acquittal for the absence of a crime.

Demonstration in support of Cristina Fernández de Kirchner.

Demonstration in support of Cristina Fernández de Kirchner after being accused of fraud and corruption. (27.08.2022).

Cristina Fernández de Kirchner has denounced on numerous occasions that the sentence against her “has been written”, as she had already stated on December 2, 2019 – days before taking on the position of vice president in the current Executive – when her decision was taken declaration.

And while he was referring to the prosecutors handling the case at the time as a “lawfare tribunal,” last week, when he said his last words, he said he “failed” and that he was “a firing squad”.

If a sentence is handed down against Fernández on Tuesday, he will face a lengthy trial until it is approved or rejected by the Supreme Court.

The Kirchnerist Peronist leader has privileges that protect her from possible arrest until December 2023, when her term as vice president will expire, and although she has not yet revealed whether she will run for election next October, some analysts comment that she could run for at least a senator to maintain immunity.

It is expected that this Tuesday there will be a mobilization of his followers, such as those that originated last August, following the request for a 12-year sentence by the prosecutor.

In the middle of one of those adhesion demonstrations, on September 1, Fernández suffered an attack on the doors of her house, from which she escaped unharmed.

Follow us on

The Google News office

DW extension



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *