Airport closed and train to Machu Picchu suspended due to the announcement of protests


The international airport of Cuzco and the train service to the citadel of Machu Picchu will remain closed this Tuesday due to the announcement of social protests in that region of southern Peru, amid political and social unrest that have left 7 people dead so far.

The Peruvian Corporation of Airports and Commercial Aviation (Corpac) said in a statement that it had decided that Cuzco airport will be closed after “a crowd of protesters” attempted to enter the facilities through “rings in the fence perimeter”.

“In order to safeguard the integrity and safety of passengers, users, the general public and our collaborators, air operations at our Cusco terminal are suspended, as their safety is not guaranteed,” he said.

The company also requested that the protection of the Peruvian National Police (PNP) be strengthened “against possible criminal acts that attack the airport infrastructure, navigation, control and surveillance systems necessary for flight operations at the aforementioned airport location”.

Corpac also recommended passengers coordinate to reschedule their flights “directly with their airline through its official channels” and made “an appeal to the population for calm and serenity”.

For its part, the PerúRail company, operator of trains to Machu Picchu, has announced that this service will be suspended this Tuesday due to the announcement of the start of the mobilizations called by unions and peasant organizations who have called for an “indefinite strike ” in the region.

“We are sorry for the inconvenience these announcements cause to our passengers; however, they are due to situations beyond our company’s control and seek to prioritize the safety of passengers and workers,” a statement read.

Protests that erupted in Peru on Sunday against President Dina Boluarte and Congress reached their peak of violence and vandalism on Monday, with a total of seven dead, more than 100 injured police officers and the attack on two TV channels in Lime.

The ombudsman, Eliana Revollar, confirmed the number of dead in clashes between police and demonstrators demanding the resignation of Boluarte and the closure of Congress, which last Wednesday ousted Pedro Castillo from the presidency after announcing a self-coup by Condition.

The most violent clashes are taking place in the south of the country, precisely in the departments of Apurímac and Arequipa, where other mobilizations have been announced for this Tuesday, in addition to those called by the Cuzco trade unions.

Following social unrest, the government decreed a 60-day state of emergency in seven provinces of Apurímac on Monday, while protests were also felt in Lima, where protesters attacked the Prosecutor’s office and the premises of two television stations channels.

Videos via Twitter: @RogerPoier

Follow us on

The Google News office



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *