President Boric invites us to “turn the page”, asked for pardons: “I hope it is a matter that we can consider resolved”


Called to turn the page on President Gabriel Boric, after receiving a series of criticisms for the pardons granted to 13 people (12 in the context of the violence recorded during the social epidemic and the former frontist Jorge Mateluna), after being consulted in I deserve the case of one of the pardoned; Louis Castillo.

Luis Arturo Castillo Opazo, 37, was sentenced to 4 years in prison in the highest degree for the crimes of disorder and robbery in an uninhabited place in November 2019. However, according to a report by Channel 13, Castillo Opazo would also have five convictions and 26 lawsuits against him. According to the aforementioned submission, these are the crimes of theft, injury, violent robbery and surprise robbery, all committed between 2005 and 2017.

You may also like:

During a press conference in Valdivia released by the Head of State, the journalist Valentina Godoy asked the President if he had mentioned precedents on the table at the time of granting the pardon. President Boric said that the issue of pardons throughout Chile’s history “has always been controversial”. And, in addition to citing the book Las Suaves Cenizas del Olvido (Loveman and Lira, 1999) where “he realizes how this has been an institution that has existed for a long time in the Republic”, he stated that it is a subject of “genera always very bitter debates.

President Gabriel Boric underlined what he had already mentioned previously. “I do not doubt the powers of the judiciary in the slightest, nor is it up to me to interfere as indicated by the art. Refer to bankruptcies”, he reiterated.

“The pardon is an attribution to which we have resorted, by virtue of the faculties that the Constitution and the laws confer on me. And I hope it will serve to repair open wounds in the country”, condemned the President. In addition, he reviewed the security measures taken so far, such as the budget increase for the Carabineros, the increase in powers for the PDI, the classification of the crimes of extortion, kidnapping, hit men, and said ” that crime and how to deal with it has always been a concern.

The pardons granted on December 30, President Boric said, “were the result of a profound reflection, in which I do not question the role of the powers of the state and I hope this does not mean that we cannot work as a country to address this tremendous challenge that is to deal with crime”.

Finally, from the Los Ríos Region, Boric said that he had already referred to the issue of pardons several times and hoped that it would be “an issue that we can consider resolved, that we turn the page and dedicate ourselves to working for the urgent needs that our country needs has many”.

The president was again consulted to see if he knew all of Luis Castillo’s past, to which he reiterated: “I’ve already answered the question, I’ve already answered the question.”

“The pardons apply, and there is no other way, to the condemned”

The head of the General Secretariat of the Government, spokeswoman Camila Vallejo, also addressed the issue, assuring that the decision to pardon the people was taken under “reflection” and with “review of precedents”.

“The pardons apply, and there is no other way, to convicted persons. It is no surprise and cannot be a surprise that these people have had convictions, because each of the pardons is applied to convicted people. They are difficult decisions, but they are made after reflection, with a background check, and that’s how they were applied” Vallejo said.

For her part, the Minister of Justice, Marcela Ríos, explained that “the pardons do not eliminate the criminal conviction, these people continue to be convicted, they continue to have a criminal record and there can always be differences when the pardons have been pronounced”.

“Our industry has forcefully cited President Piñera’s pardons for criminals against humanity and have also been questioned at other historic moments,” the Secretary of State said.

Regarding Castillo’s case, Minister Ríos said that “all legal norms have been respected”. “Here there is no apology from anyone, because this is a pardon, a pardon, and it doesn’t mean that person ceases to have a conviction from the Judiciary,” he ruled.

Interior and Public Security Minister Carolina Tohá added in another press release that “every time someone is pardoned, someone convicted is pardoned. Pardons are neither security policy nor do they replace judicial processes.”

“The only people who receive pardons are people who have been convicted, they are people who have been reprimanded by justice and they are people who, because they are pardoned, do not stop having that reproach,” stressed the chief of staff.

Finally, Tohá underlined that “those sentences are still valid, the processes are not under discussion, but there is an exceptional remuneration that is given to the presidents so that they, in an evaluation, can consider when it corresponds or is appropriate that that person Not yet in prison, but still convicted and still responsible for a crime”.

The college of deputies of the UDI formalizes the comptroller’s office to review the legality of the pardon for Jorge Mateluna and Luis Castillo

The deputies of the UDI, Felipe Donoso and Juan Manuel Fuenzalida, on behalf of the union college, announced that they will officiate at the Office of the Comptroller General of the Republic to rule on the legitimacy of the pardon granted by President Gabriel Boric to Jorge Mateluna and the castle of Louis. Furthermore, they will ask the Chilean Gendarmerie for the conduct sheet for those pardoned.

Donoso recalled that “the pardons granted by the president break with a tradition, since they were normally intended for people in serious health conditions, who had some characteristics that made the pardon humanitarian”.

In the pardons granted to Mateluna and Castillo, he added, they require, as established by law, to justify this “indult”, which in this case, in his opinion, did not happen. “This did not happen in the case of Jorge Mateluna, nor in the case of Luis Castillo, who have been convicted of various events over the past 20 years,” said the UDI deputy.

“The comptroller’s office has the ability and is obliged to do this, we hope that the comptroller will process it as quickly as possible so that this is canceled and then we have no criminals who have already committed several crimes released, due to an irresponsible decision of a minister and the President of the Republic”, recalled Donoso.

Meanwhile, Deputy Fuenzalida said they will also ask and instruct the Chilean gendarmerie to deliver the conduct sheet for Mateluna and Castillo.

“We have learned that Mr. Castillo, both in the prisons of Huachalalume and in that of Copiapó, was in the highly dangerous module and therefore we will officiate not only in what is the curriculum, but also his affiliation as a defendant and convicted within of the penitentiary complex and also all the criminal acts that he could have committed inside it”, explained the unionist parliamentarian.

Follow us on

The Google News office



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *